Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Love is Patient

It all started with a trip to one of those indoor play places. Some sneaky little virus was camping out on the toy that my toddler decided to lick and now it's 7 days later and mom, dad, toddler and baby are all getting over the never-ending cold.

It's hard having a sick toddler. They whine. They cry. The world is over if they can't have animal crackers for breakfast or if the blue spoon is dirty and they have to use the green one. It's also hard having a sick baby.  They cry. And they cry. And they cry. And their crying makes your toddler cry, whose crying makes the baby cry more and then you want to cry.

On days like these I have to pray for patience. I remind myself that love, patience, gentleness, and self-control are fruits of the spirit and I double my efforts to speak kind, uplifting words despite my feelings.

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

Love is patient. Love is kind. 1 Corinthians 13:4

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Colossians 3:12-13

Today my toddler shoved pebbles up both nostrils at the playground while I wasn't looking. He woke up at the break of dawn banging on his bedroom door. He didn't want to nap, didn't want to sleep at bedtime. He didn't want to eat dinner. He only wanted to play with toys the baby was holding. He spent a considerable amount of time before bed nursing an imaginary booboo with an ice pack on the couch. He wanted to swing at the playground, but cried because the seat was too narrow. He didn't want to leave when it started raining.

After feeding lunches, changing diapers, putting both boys down and then realizing my toddler had no intention of napping, I lay on the floor next to his toddler bed, praying and holding his hand until he fell asleep. I asked for some sorely needed encouragement and what God gave me was the image of His hand holding onto mine just as I was holding onto my son's.

For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” Isaiah 41:13

No comments:

Post a Comment